Our mixed age classes are 45 minutes long and meet weekly for a 5-week session. Children, ages 0-5, and their families experience new songs, chants, movement activities, and instrumental jams. Classes with different ages have intellectual and social benefits for both younger and older children. In fact, it’s the learning environment recommended by many early childhood researchers. Older children learn empathy and awareness of others, while developing leadership qualities and gaining self-confidence. Younger children learn by imitating the older ones and often show more complex behaviors earlier than usual. Even babies benefit being in an environment that gives them lots of opportunities to observe the behavior of children of varying ages. Plus, it allows everyone – siblings, parents, grandparents, and caregivers – to share in the musical experience together! Both adults and children sit in the circle and participate, while being led by a registered Music Together teacher. The teacher helps the adults understand how to participate and the importance of relaxing and enjoying the activities with their children. The children have many opportunities to create and play.
Music Together classes use Informal Instruction allowing children to learn at their own speed. Children may or may not participate as they choose and do so according to their developmental level. The class experience, reinforced by CD listening and parent involvement, stimulates learning at home through play.The enjoyment doesn’t stop when the class is over. Each semester families receive a song collection and recording of original compositions and traditional songs performed by outstanding singers and instrumentalists. The children will often ask to hear the Music Together CD in the car and at home or when friends come over to play. The songbook often comes out at bedtime or nap time and is used as a storybook. Parents are encouraged to “read” the songs even if they don’t read music. At home, parents, also, enjoy their children singing parts of Music Together songs and dancing spontaneously to music.
Years after your child takes a Music Together class, he or she will still remember the “Hello Song” and other favorites. Parents of former students tell us “We still have those CDs!” With a childhood of Music Together experiences, your child will be among the young people who have a deep-seated love of music-making. Enjoy!
- Infants: Infants blend with any age group. We have found that early exposure to music greatly benefits their musical development. The rewards for this can be seen as they grow and develop.
- Mixed Ages: Activities focus on adult/child interaction rather than child/child interaction, so children of different ages (such as siblings) can enjoy class together. Also, many childhood educators consider mixed-age groupings beneficial and the process of music development throughout this age range is similar. Adults, regardless of their own musical ability, find it fun and easy to help create an environment that supports any child in achieving basic music competence. Children participate at their own level in classes of mixed ages by singing, moving, chanting, listening, and exploring musical instruments.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Each family will receive 2 CDs and an illustrated songbook, plus digital song downloads.
- Digital resources, including the Family Music Zone® and the Hello Everybody app to access music from anywhere.
- Subscription to the Music Together® Family Newsletter and other educational materials to help you understand and enhance your child’s music development.